[cisco-voip] UC Cluster Upgrade Implementation Query

Ahmed Abd EL-Rahman Ahmed.Rahman at bmbgroup.com
Fri Mar 20 08:42:42 EDT 2015

Hi All,
          I'm seeking your professional advice regarding the following request, I need an implementation plan (or in simple words ordered sequence for the implementation steps with a focus on the downtime needed), here is what I have in terms of UC cluster components:

*         CUCM V 8.6.2 which will be upgraded to V10.5 and will be virtualized on UCS Blade servers (2 blades), they have a Pub and a Sub on the HQ which will have the 2 Blades and 2 other Subs in a remote site, I'm planning to use the prime collaboration deployment for this upgrade.

*         UCCX V9.0.2 on a physical 7825I4 MCS server which to be also upgraded to V10.X and virtualized on the Blade server.

*         A new installation for cisco unified Communications Manager IM and Presence V10.X on the Blades, which will replace an old Cisco Unified Personal Communicator V 8.5.

*         A new installation of WebEx Meeting Server on the Blades which will replace an old Cisco Meeting Place Express V2.1.

*         A new installation of Cisco Paging Server on the Blades.

*         A new installation of Cisco Expressway System.

*         An upgrade and virtualization for Unity Connection V8.5 currently on MCS servers to V 10.X on the Blades.

*         An Upgrade for Unity Connection V8.6 currently virtualized on UCS server in remote site to V10.X on the same UCS servers on the remote site.

*         Upgrading Unity Express V 8.0.3 in different remote sites routers to latest 8.6.X version to be compatible with the new CUCM version 10.5 without any other modification to the CUE which handle both AA and VM features for these remote sites.
So kindly I need any suggestions and advices regarding the ordered steps of the above and what needs a downtime and what's doesn't need ? also if there is any other suggestions regarding compatibility of the above components.

Also what's the best practice to minimize the downtime and I would be also highly appreciated if tests checklist can be provided

Many thanks.

Best Regards

Ahmed Abd EL-Rahman
Senior Network Engineer