[cisco-voip] sip & cube question

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 21:58:27 EDT 2015

1) RTU, nothing to add to the router (just like SRST)
2) The 100 sessions is for any supported codec. If Cisco says a 2911 can do
100 sessions, they mean it. It's not: "well, it's 100, but only if you're
using g729"

Check the data sheet for CUBE session limits per platform:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-border-element/data-sheet-c78-729692.html

Now, if you're wondering about layering on other services: routing
protocol, http server, tufts server, PRI, MGCP, H323, transcoding,
Firewall, VPN, etc, etc, etc, then that's a different story and I'm not
sure if Cisco will provide you with a tool that will evaluate your router
to see if it's CUBE-able or not.  I would think that anything above 200
sessions is pretty significant and I would lobby for a dedicated device.
You can see that this question is address here, but with no specifics:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/69976/frequently-asked-questions-cisco-unified-border-element-cube#Q11:_Does_CUBE_have_to_be_run_on_a_dedicated_devicerouter