[cisco-voip] Anyone has experience with captions for the Hearing Impaired

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:33:40 EDT 2015

Edgardo,

	We have a couple of users with the Captel type phones connected via Ethernet right to their service, and some of the older ones that connect via POTS on Cisco ATAs. There have not been any issues with those, other than something with bootp and the Captel phone.

	We recently installed ipTTY at our Police dispatch, connecting to the UCM as a 3rd party SIP device. While anything of this sort ultimately depends on if the audio is compressed or mangled getting into your system, via PRI/g711 this hasn't been an issue for us at all - it works just fine. The program has a couple of quirks - it can de-register from the proxy if there's a disruption, and it doesn't seem to re-register itself (and has no backup). In a stable environment that's probably not a problem. As well, it will also ring for SIP INVITEs coming directly at it on the target PC, so if it is publically addressed, you'd want to firewall that off. Otherwise, it seems to work just swell.

Regards,

Adam Pawlowski
SUNYAB NCS