[cisco-voip] CUWL STD version

Tim Smith tim.smith at enject.com.au
Thu May 14 01:40:32 EDT 2015

Hi,

Not that simple unfortunately, due to Cisco selling users but enforcing usage based on devices in anything pre 9.x
In 9.x + it's easier - you have ELM / PLM that will show you usage in terms of user licensing concepts

So I am assuming you are on something before 9.x
In that case, the best bet, download the Cisco LCU tool from cisco.com/go/software (it's the License Count Utility)
Run it against your CUCM server, and it will generate a usage report

Email licensing at cisco.com - attach the LCU report and ask them to tell you what licensing you would require going into 9.x and above
If you have contracts, sales order numbers etc, then you can provide those and they can tell you what you are covered for (and if there is a shortfall)
If you have contracts a good start is to actually order the upgrade through PUT first cisco.com/upgrade
This way you can provide the upgrade order in the case and they will check entitlement against it

Conversion to 9.x for licensing is still a manual process.
If your contracts have not been kept up to date, and your user counts are wrong, then be prepared to prove your previous purchases with Cisco sales order #'s

Be aware of - remote destination profiles and extension mobility - these can cause double ups in calculations and result in licensing team thinking you have much higher utilisation than you do.

I battle extension mobility every single time (owner ID is not viable, still waiting for Cisco to fix this properly)
And I think I am hitting an RDP issue now - each profile showing up as requiring a UCL basic license - when in fact they should be covered under the CUWL standard for a user

There can be much more, or if you are lucky, much less to it. But that's the high level.

Question everything  - make sure you or your customer agrees with the usage entitlements that they come back with.
The truth is out there.

Cheers,

Tim