[cisco-voip] UC & Linux server for DRS SFTP DNS and NTP

Terry Oakley Terry.Oakley at rdc.ab.ca
Tue Nov 3 10:13:21 EST 2015

>From me to you and your willingness to share, thank you.   It has been a long while since I used linux, any flavour, extensively so this will be a very welcome assistance.

Thank you again.

Cheers

Terry

From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Ryan Huff
Sent: November 3, 2015 5:13 AM
To: cisco voip <cisco-voip at puck.nether.net>
Subject: [cisco-voip] UC & Linux server for DRS SFTP DNS and NTP

Hey all,

Some time last week, I think, someone had posed a query about options for DRS mechanisms (SFTP ... etc); among many of the great suggestions was, as there always is, a suggestion to use Linux (I myself recommended).

I did some thinking and thought, for some, suggesting a Linux server may be akin to asking that soup be eaten with a fork. We're all busy professionals; taking the time away from work and family to learn how to use an unfamiliar operating system just for UC backups? I realise that might be an obvious proposition.

With regards to Cisco UC specifically, I think "Linux" is not just knowing that UCOS is built on it, I think it should be an essential tool in your UC utility belt! Linux can solve many issues and get you out of binds (no pun intended). In my opinion, it is a much more reliable and scalable solution than other options (and it can be more useful to your UC environment than just a "DRS Box").

So, for those in mind, and for my LOVE of the penguin; over the next week'ish (we'll see how work goes) I am doing a multi-part blog series covering the niche topic of Cisco UC and Linux utility servers and specific use cases. Specifically, I will cover using SFTP, DNS, NTP & Web Servers in Linux (all useful goodies for Cisco UC).

I am not, nor will not sell anything nor does the blog have ads or stuff like that. This is just a sincere and genuine effort to assist my fellow brothers and sisters that may not be ultra familiar with Linux but would like to know more and how Linux utility servers could be used with Cisco UC.

I will not be notifying the list each time I have a new entry in the series, so if you would like to follow along or do a fly-by at some point, please visit/bookmark http://ryanthomashuff.com/category/linux-aficionado-series/ or use the RSS link http://ryanthomashuff.com/feed/

Right now, the first entry is up which is a primer to the series.

Thanks,

Ryan