[cisco-voip] How Many Docs Does it Take to Prep for an Upgrade?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Oct 16 15:02:11 EDT 2015

I've never made a spreadsheet like yours, but I've done something similar. Typically with compatibility checking. You do have to visit a number of documents and/or links. It's quite frustrating to say the least.

The process of upgrading is a difficult one to say the least, especially with things like you mention, where gotchas are hidden deep in documents that you may not read front to back.

My biggest issue is when you skip versions, it's not really clear which documents to read with respect to changes. For example, when I upgraded from 7.1 to 9.1, I found myself printing (eeeek!) a number of documents which had duplicate information, but I wasn't sure on where to look.

And then there's the issue that each application will have different rules, so CUCM might say only print the latest minor version notes, any SU or a/b/c release will have everything you need. Where Connection or Unity Express might do something different.

It's not fun to say the least.

But isn't Prime supposed to make it easy to upgrade now?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph