[cisco-voip] How Many Docs Does it Take to Prep for an Upgrade?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Oct 20 10:40:39 EDT 2015

My major concern is IP address conflicts. Right now, with my offline network, it's completely isolated, with the UCS solution, unless I buy a UCS server(s) that is sized accordingly to hold the VMs sized for my production environment (which is unlikely), I'll have to consider feeding the UCS servers with the offline network which is a duplicate of the production network.

While technically possible, it would mean that the entire team be aware of this special configuration and not mess with anything that could bridge the configurations and cause IP address conflicts. I'm envisioning a separate network cable plugged into our offline switch/routers that would connect to the UCS server(s) in a separate VLAN. Unfortunately, I'm not up to speed with the intricacies of the UCS systems and VM, etc. and whether or not that would cause issues.

As with other organizations, we're under pressure to keep systems up and running 24 hours a day. We're improving our service availability design to hopefully help us going forward. For example, building an almost exact duplicate of our auto-attendant and call processing on Unity Express, so that we can do work on Connection while peoples business can continue at 3 in the morning while we do work.

We may revisit the offline upgrade in lieu of an inplace upgrade, but I'm not sure we're there yet.

Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure