[cisco-voip] questions about sizing UC on UCS

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Sep 11 10:00:53 EDT 2015

I'm using this tool: http://tools.cisco.com/ucs to get an idea of a lab server that we can use to run 8 Expressway servers. Basically, a pair of C's and E's for testing and a pair of C's and E's for a pilot.

I grabbed a BE6000H (M4) [UCS 220 M4S TRC#2] [BE6H-M4-K9] and found that I could put in 8 Expressway smalls. But also mediums.

I found this strange since the total memory used is more than that which is available from the server based on the wiki.

Any comments on this?

Anyone fill a server to the max of CPU without a problem? I guess I could just add more memory if needed. They've said that does not break a server's support structure.

The "restricted" CPUs also have me wondering, but as far as I can tell, should still make a good lab server since it's usually only the size of the VM that is impacted.

Thanks, Lelio

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure