[cisco-voip] While we're on the subject of Feature Requests.....

Tong, Dana Dana.Tong at team.telstra.com
Fri Sep 18 00:58:47 EDT 2015

Hi guys,

Reading the most recent posts I thought I'd share some of the requests that I've made post Live '15. I think they were shot down unfortunately.
However I do know some of the Cisco guys are on the list and just wanted to get some feedback from their point of view.

1.       Cisco Jabber. Somewhere along the way. I think it was CUPC version 8.x they introduced the Client Services Framework (CSF) and it was a separate process that ran on the PC.
I was lead to believe that this would be the underlying framework that allowed all of the telephony, video, messaging, etc to be stripped out of the client so that they could develop platform independent clients.
Why then do we have to create additional devices (CSF, TCT, TAB, BOT, etc) when we want to provide services to multiple devices? Not a big one. But it would be nice to just configure the one universal "CSF" device and have all of the device specific stuff built into the client (whether it be iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, etc).

2.       User Device Profiles for extension mobility.
Do you think the UDP will ever migrate to a "device independent" type of device where we can just configure a button template and have it to take on the rest of the appearance of the device they log into?

3.       Proximity for the Edge.
Is there a road-map to add Proximity via Expressway at all? Presently Proximity utilises a high-frequency audio signal, https / ssl and a security token. The high-frequency audio signal is specifically tuned to no penetrate the walls. Would it be possible perhaps to extend the reverse proxy capabilities of the Expressway Edge to allow this connection to the endpoint using the built-in "white-listing" function of the Edge, and perhaps addressing the endpoint with FQDN? This enhancement could allow participants to access the content sharing features without necessarily needing to be on the corporate WiFi? Obviously I've made an assumption that perhaps the security for Proximity may need to be enhanced also (such as only allowing content sharing from the Edge).

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers
Dana