[cisco-voip] Digicert Wildcard cert

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Thu Apr 7 19:12:45 EDT 2016

I use Digicert wildcard certs a lot for totally unrelated uses. Just did one yesterday. I have never seen them want to generate the private key for me. That would be silly. If anyone other than me had the private key, then it wouldn’t be very private, would it? Maybe there is a way to have them generate the private key, but I can confirm it certainly isn’t mandatory.

After submitting the CSR, before signing, they do allow you to change the CN to wildcard on their site.

They do allow you to get multiple certs with the same wildcard CN using different keypairs. They call it “Get a duplicate” and it doesn’t cost anything extra.

The only piece I’m not sure about is if they allow multiple SANs on a wildcard cert. Other than possibly that, I know the rest is doable.

Like I said, I am using them for non-UC stuff. If Cisco says they don’t support it then I’d be hesitant to do it even if it is doable.

-mn