[cisco-voip] upgrading cucilync 8.6 to 11.6.0?

Nick Barnett nicksbarnett at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:38:08 EDT 2016

I'm working on packaging Cucilync 11.6.0 so it will work with the new Skype
for business client. we are using windows 7 64bit, but the skype client is
32bit. I've never really dealt with installing Jabber (since we use Lync
mostly) and I'm having a tough time understanding the boot process for the
new Cucilync. I understand that after v9, cucilync has the ability to find
the cluster with DNS SRV records. I have this part working... I think. I
can see the DNS request hit the wire with a packet capture and my cucilync
properly registers in softphone mode. When i change the device pool of the
CSF, the registration follows to the correct sub (something that the old
version did not do in our environment).

I've set up a new service profile and created profiles for VM, mailstore,
CTI... I've also applied this to my end user settings.

I also created a new cucilync-config.xml file and uploaded it to TFTP. I
installed cucilync with the switch to recognize this new xml file. The xml
file has a couple of policy settings, like "not docked." That's the whole
point of this exercise, people hate the new docking UI and I need to get
rid of it.

I'm sure there are more issues at hand here, but I can't drag a call from
skype to cucilync. My first thoughts were that CTI is not working, but
that's just a guess.

I started plowing through the files in the %appdata%\cisco\Unified
Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config\ folder, and now I'm even more confused. I
see OLD data (i deleted all of the registry entries as well as all files
and directories from 8.6). i know this is old data because I'm taking this
opportunity to point the cucilync instances to our new tftp servers... they
were previously installed to point to a set of 3 TFTP servers, that's not
the current config.

Am I over thinking this? Have I missed something dumb and obvious? Is there
a decent document on how the app is supposed to boot? Finding stuff on
cucilync is rough, it feels like cucilync doesn't even exist since
everything is referred to as Jabber.

Thanks for listening to me brain dump :)

Nick