[cisco-voip] TP Room Endpoints - Name and Number on TV Display

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:27:53 EST 2016

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone has solved a certain problem for endpoints which
are registered to CUCM.  You know how the system will show a name for the
device at the top left of the TV screen?  I'm not talking touch 8 or touch
10 here, but the actual TV or monitor display.

I would like to show a combination of the name of the room and the phone
number as well, but I'm not finding a very good solution to do this.

I did notice that what shows up by default is from CUCM DN Display field,
so I edited it.

Instead of just this:

[image: Inline image 2]

I used this:

[image: Inline image 3]

And that works, but then I face two challenges:

1) Internal Caller ID is really long and redundant, containing the DN in
itself

Plus, the documentation says you shouldn't put a number in here, probably
for the same reason I'm saying (not good practice):

[image: Inline image 8]

2) Or the whole thing is just too long and over the character limit, like
this (note I cannot fit the rest of the number):

[image: Inline image 5]

So, that's less than ideal, but atleast it's persistent through reboots of
the codec.

A non-persistent approach I did try, is changing the Codec's SIP
DisplayName, which by default is populated with what's in CUCM's DN Display
field:

>From the default:

[image: Inline image 1]

To this:

[image: Inline image 4]

And that works too, but then it's volatile and I have to keep changing them
back all the time, and checking up on them, bleh.  No thanks.

I did look into the start up script option on a TC7.3 C20 codec, so the
system can reconfigure its own DisplayName when booting, but that didn't
work with the below simple script, despite working when manually clicking
Run. I think it didn't work because of the order of operations: 1) boot
codec, 2) run script and update display name, 3) register with CUCM, 4)
re-update display name from CUCM

[image: Inline image 7]

So anyway, I've done some searching, but not really knowing these systems
too well or the terminology, I'm kind of stuck.  I suppose I could write a
script in Python and have it check the config and update, and set that to
run every 10 minutes or whatever, but I don't know.  Maybe.

I'll leave it there and see what you all have seen or done.  Thanks much.