[cisco-voip] 8841 issues on 3850 switch

Hendrix, Bill W. - US george.hendrix at caci.com
Wed Dec 21 09:02:56 EST 2016

Hey Guys,

  We have seen spotty issues with phones connected to our 3850 (WS-C3850-12X48U) stack switches running 03.07.04E.  The 8841 phones are running sip88xx.11-5-1-18.  Basically, the phones will sometimes not work and when looking at the port, it's like the switch doesn't see the phone via CDP.  We are doing dot1x and phone profiling with ISE 2.1.  Below is a port with a phone not working.

Show power inline output.

Te1/0/42  auto   on         7.0     Ieee PD             2     60.0

Show mab all summary output
Te1/0/42        None            N/A

It should show the mac address of the phone here.  However, if I move the SAME phone to a different port on the switch that is configured exactly the same, it works and below is the output.

sh power inline | i 3/0/48
Te3/0/48  auto   on         6.3     IP Phone 8841       2     60.0

sh mab all summ | i 3/0/48
Te3/0/48        00cc.fc4a.c743  SUCCESS

The two ports are configured exactly the same in the switch.  I even removed dot1x/mab completely, and the phone would still not work correctly.  I did a factory reset of a test phone and it started working, disconnected the phone and then it started doing this same thing again.   Thoughts on what this issue could be?  ISE issue, or phone firmware issue?

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/42
switchport access vlan 50
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 52
trust device cisco-phone
authentication control-direction in
authentication event fail action next-method
authentication event server dead action reinitialize vlan 50
authentication event server dead action authorize voice
authentication event server alive action reinitialize
 authentication host-mode multi-domain
authentication order dot1x mab
authentication priority dot1x mab
authentication port-control auto
authentication periodic
authentication timer reauthenticate server
authentication violation restrict
mab
snmp trap mac-notification change added
snmp trap mac-notification change removed
dot1x pae authenticator
dot1x timeout tx-period 4
auto qos voip cisco-phone
 spanning-tree portfast
service-policy input AutoQos-4.0-CiscoPhone-Input-Policy
service-policy output AutoQos-4.0-Output-Policy

interface TenGigabitEthernet3/0/48
[...]

Regards,
Bill Hendrix