[cisco-voip] UPPERCASE lowercase host names

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Thu Feb 11 09:19:47 EST 2016

Matt,

There have been cases (CWMS as you note), where lowercase is specifically required. I think UCCX may have some hostname casing stipulations as well. Couldn't find anything relevant in the BugKit (not to say it isn't there).

That said, your recollection may be from advice/reading that was an extension of pragmatic behavior of Linux system operators. Those who start to work with Linux initially think that two different scancodes to represent the same ASCII character is neat trick but after some time, they are wittled down by the Penguin and adopt standard practice for character representation; lowercase generally wins because it usually means the same in every OS.

When it comes to Linux, and by extension Cisco UCOS, I just adopt the "lowercase-single-word-no-funny-characters" mantra.

Thanks,

= Ryan =

Email: ryanhuff at outlook.com

Spark: ryanhuff at outlook.com