[cisco-voip] PRI and cabling distances

Terry Oakley Terry.Oakley at rdc.ab.ca
Tue Jul 5 10:58:55 EDT 2016

We are finally replacing our aging router and replacing it with a new (at least new for us) 2911.   The current location of our old router was where our old Nortel PBX was located.   We are looking at relocating the 2911 into our data centre which will require us to push the PRI signal (we have two) from our demarc room through the building to our data centre, using in house copper cabling.   How far have any of you been successful in pushing a PRI/T1 signal and if you needed to put in a 'booster' what booster do you recommend.

The distance we are going is between 800 and 1000 feet.   I have read that this distance is workable but.
I have, in testing,  connected the new 2911 to one of the PRI (HDSL) devices and I can see that it connects by running cablelength commands on the VG.   If I use cablelength -22db I can get the HDSL light to indicate it is connected but a show controller T1 still shows that controller 0/0/1 is down.   So I believe the cable length is too long or I am missing something else.

Any assistance and sharing of knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

Terry

Terry Oakley
Telecommunications Coordinator | Information Technology Services
Red Deer College |100 College Blvd. | Box 5005 | Red Deer | Alberta | T4N 5H5
work (403) 342-3521   |  FAX (403) 343-4034