[cisco-voip] Route Dial-Peer Based On Response

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 21 15:38:49 EDT 2016

Sorry I haven’t replied back to the group sooner, I’ve been working on a number of other items the last few days.

I wanted to answer this as I saw it flash by before I became sidetracked again.

If you use the options keepalive under the peer, it appears to choose a destination to send the SIP options message to. It will send the message to the same peer more than once, so I don’t know if it is randomly choosing the same one multiple times, or if it only chooses a new primary target every so often. All I have had experience with at the moment is that the far end peer was one that the SIP trunk wasn’t active on (UCM) and it was replying back with a service unavailable message. With enough of these in a row, the whole dial peer busies out. It does not attempt to reach other members immediately.

I probably should test this to see if it will attempt to poll another peer if the connection (TCP) fails. It probably will not. In this case, I would have to rely on the SRV itself and the invite and setup timers to handle the case of trying to have redundancy, and nix the options ping as not mixing with using SRV records.

I have it in my head that using, say, 4 hosts under the service records will allow the router to try another if setup fails (and this works, after the timers expire). Setting four peers to priority 0 does not, it fails and hunts for the next matching peer or priority. I set it up this way to avoid n^2 number of peers per matching destination, and to achieve some sort of ‘poor man’s load balancing’ even if that isn’t really required.

Adam