[cisco-voip] Manipulate calling name on IOS gateway

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Thu Jul 28 15:30:06 EDT 2016

What are my options for manipulating calling name in an IOS gateway (SIP to ISDN-PRI)?

In CUCM, line appearances have "UTF name" and "ASCII name." This allowed me to put specific people's names for internal VoIP calls (UTF) and a more generic organization name for PSTN calls (ASCII). But now I've decommissioned CUCM and have a third-party PBX that doesn't have this functionality (Lync). So I need to manipulate the calling name at the IOS gateway.

I'm thinking I will have to do it by using a sip-profile to modify the SIP >From header on the inbound dial-peer. Unless someone knows a better way? If IOS has some way of manipulating calling name that's actually meant for doing that, I'd rather use that way instead of hacking SIP headers. Hacking SIP headers always makes me a little nervous that some weird edge case could come along and make the whole thing fall apart.

(P.S. I'm in Canada, where ISDN customers get to send calling name to the PSTN, unlike U.S.A.)

-mn