[cisco-voip] certificates and SANs - what's really needed in there?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jun 9 12:15:13 EDT 2016

Our lab expressway cluster is on it's way to be completed... only thing missing is the certificates.

I read up a little on the archives, but still not so clear.

We're going to be getting individual certs for each Exp-C and Exp-E member (a cluster of 2xC, 2xE).

I don't believe I need any SANs for the Exp-C. But I'm not sure if I need the cluster name in the certificate.

    * CERT 1: CN=exp-c-a.acme.com, SAN=exp-c-cluster.acme.com
    * CERT 2: CN= exp-c-b.acme.com, SAN=exp-c-cluster.acme.com

For the Exp-E, I'd like to add the hostname for the outside interface, as well as the CNAME for the services domain, and the CNAME/ALIAS I'm using for the collab-edge resolution.

    * CERT 1: CN=exp-e-a.acme.com, SAN=exp-e-cluster.acme.com, exp-e-a-out.acme.com, myjabber.acme.com, proxy-a.acme.com
    * CERT 2: CN= exp-e-b.acme.com, SAN=exp-e-cluster.acme.com, exp-e-b-out.acme.com, myjabber.acme.com, proxy-b.acme.com

In our use case, _collab-edge SRV records resolve to proxy-a and proxy-b, and those resolve to the exp-e-a-out and exp-e-b-out interfaces respectively.

Anything special to get off-prem hardware devices like the 88/98xx , DX and SX to work properly via MRA?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph