[cisco-voip] video conferencing question...

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jun 15 14:05:18 EDT 2016

Can anyone share a rough idea of what I might need to bring a group of around 30 V/C units into the fold of my Cisco Collaboration solution? The units are a mix of polycom, tandberg and cisco units. And most of them are _years_ old. Replacing them any time soon is not an option, unfortunately.

I currently have CUCM v9, w/ a recently deployed Expressway/MRA deployment.

My goal is to have the V/C units register to a box (or boxes), be able to dial new Cisco V/C units that register directly to CUCM, but also make use of any cloud meeting rooms that Cisco provides.

>From what I understand, I should be able to use the existing Expressway/MRA box, since it would not require any B2B licensing. I'm guessing I would just need a set of stand alone VCS servers and build out the ties between the systems?

They may require direct dialing to other H323 hosts on the internet, which means I would likely want to deploy a second cluster of expressway C/E servers with B2B licensing. I say this, because I understand that B2B and JAbber Guest use the same licensing, and it's difficult (if not impossible) to migrate licensing off servers. Since J/Guest is not compatible with MRA, people say make a B2B/JGuest cluster.

I know there's a lot of options, but a starting point would be great.

Cheers!

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure