[cisco-voip] 7941 phone issues

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Thu Jun 30 10:55:06 EDT 2016

One last though Bill,

IMO, the best way to deal with the old 79xx's that had the intermediary firmware upgrade issue is to manually upgrade it offline.

- Download and unzip all the firmware file for the load version into a folder on your PC (source the firmware ZIP file from CCO)
- get a tftp client (TFTP32, tftpd ... etc) and point it at that folder
- put a file named "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" in that folder too
    - put the following contents in the XML file
<Default>
  <callManagerGroup>
     <members>
        <member priority="0">
           <callManager>
              <ports>
                 <ethernetPhonePort>2000</ethernetPhonePort>
                 <mgcpPorts>
                    <listen>2427</listen>
                    <keepAlive>2428</keepAlive>
                 </mgcpPorts>
              </ports>
              <processNodeName></processNodeName>
           </callManager>
        </member>
     </members>
  </callManagerGroup>
  <loadInformation>*** THE FILENAME OF THE .LOADS FILE, WITHOUT THE .LOADS EXTENSION</loadInformation>
 <authenticationURL></authenticationURL>
  <directoryURL></directoryURL>
  <idleURL></idleURL>
  <informationURL></informationURL>
  <messagesURL></messagesURL>
  <servicesURL></servicesURL>
</Default>
- Put your PC and the phone on an isolated network / vlan and create a DHCP scope that offers Option 150, which points at the ip of the tftp server (your PC, in this case)
- Boot the phone on this network and it should upgrade. Do this for all the incremental versions.

Thanks,

Ryan