[cisco-voip] CUCM Upgrade woes

Brian V bvanbens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:16:14 EST 2016

Noticing your upgrade version is 10.5.2.13900
could it be related to the new bug with vmware tools that fills the disk.

new sev2 bug with 9 TAC cases attached to it already

VMware Tools 10.0 update fails on CUCM 10.5/11.0 with selinux denials

CSCux90747

*Symptom:*

VMware Tools upgrade fails due to various Selinux denials. VI-Client
indicates tools status as Not running, Not Installed.

The following selinux denial is seen in System Logs (messages) when
VMtools update attempt fails either via VI-client initiated automatic
update or Automatic Update that takes place during boot up as long as VM
Setting "Check and upgrade VMware Tools before each power on" is checked.

Feb 25 20:20:18 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
/usr/bin/perl from create access on the directory /var/lib/. For
complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
84003ecc-5de4-4e59-9ab8-1e7a28225c18

The following selinux denials is seen in System Logs (messages) when
Vmtools update to 10.0 version or above is successful after putting
System OS Security to Permissive mode followed by Update of Tools and
then putting System OS Security back to Enforcing mode.

Feb 22 16:34:23 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/vmware-caf/pme/bin/ManagementAgentHost from read access on the
directory requests. For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
76069c58-d7be-482f-8391-4eb94d51ecd9
Feb 22 16:34:23 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/vmware-caf/pme/bin/ManagementAgentHost from read access on the
directory requests. For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
76069c58-d7be-482f-8391-4eb94d51ecd9
Feb 22 16:34:24 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
CThreadUtils::s from write access on the directory output. For complete
SELinux messages. run sealert -l 9e71ec6f-cd83-43a5-8564-14f66e77e4ff
Feb 22 16:34:24 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
/usr/lib/vmware-caf/pme/bin/ManagementAgentHost from read access on the
directory providerReg. For complete SELinux messages. run sealert -l
76069c58-d7be-482f-8391-4eb94d51ecd9
Feb 22 16:34:25 cucm-pub user 3 setroubleshoot: SELinux is preventing
CThreadUtils::s from write access on the directory output. For complete
SELinux messages. run sealert -l 9e71ec6f-cd83-43a5-8564-14f66e77e4ff

Under these conditions where VMtools 10.0 is running with CUCM 10.X or
11.X, Putting OS Security mode back to enforcing will inevitably lead to:

1. All available virtual memory is consumed by settroubleshootd because
of continuous selinux denials
2. vmware-caf logs consume 100% of the active partition due to selinux
denying log rotation (logs are in /usr/lib/vmware-caf/pme/bin).

*Conditions:*
Problem is seen after Upgrading to latest builds of ESXi 5.5 or 6.0
builds greater than 3248547 which bundles 10240 (10.0.0) version of
VMware Tools and brings in a new vmware-caf functionality.

*Workaround:*
DO NOT UPDATE Vmware tools to version 10240 (10.0.0) or above if you are
running CUCM 10.x or 11.X

If you have already attempted an earlier acceptable workaround to Update
VMware tools to version 10.0 or above and restored OS Security mode to
enforcing, you may observe a flooding of selinux denials in System
messages logs.

Under these condition the System will run out memory due to excessive
setroubleshootd logging and eventually the run out of Active Root
Partition which may prevent further access to Platform CLI and/or
ability to create Remote support account to recover from this condition.

!!! This is extremely important !!! If you must keep selinux in
enforcing mode all the time due to security concerns, do NOT upgrade to
ESXi 6.0 and/or attempt to update vmtools install

If you have already attempted an earlier workaround to Update VMware
tools to version 10.0 or above Revert OS Security mode to permissive via
(utils os secure permissive) immediately and contact TAC for recovery
options.

*Further Problem Description:*
Put OS Security back to enforcing mode only if you are absolutely sure
that you are Updating VMware Tools to a version below 10.0. For
reference look at this VMware tools version mapping doc to correlate
your ESXi Host builds to bundled vmtools versions.