[cisco-voip] Traffic Issues with 7900 Series Phones

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 4 16:32:32 EDT 2016

Wes,

	Thanks, that's good to know about ICMP. We've seen phones that get into a state where they reply with response times all over the board, lossy, which, Reset/Restart from the UCM does not rectify. Powering the device down does clear the condition - the set is otherwise idle. I need to get into one of those via SSH and pull the CPU to see if it is up at that time, to see if there's an identifiable process that covers this.

	We did get some captures from in front of the firewall where the UCM resides, and from a monitor session from the switch out at the edge where the phone is connected. We can see the UCM sending re-transmissions to the phone, and the phone eventually replying some time later. Unless there is a reason for us to try and get a copper tap on the segment between the switch and the phone, then, it would seem to be that there is some reason the phone is not replying to the UCM. There is nothing behind the phone, or any output buffer drops. Our delay here in reply is in some number of seconds, so I don't believe there's any buffering involved that would be to that extent.

	What I fear is that if we get to a point where we can determine there is some frame that is an issue, these devices are past the point of any patching being done.... as of a few weeks ago. But, since replacing phones is not free and takes a bunch of time, I still have to come up with something. I only saw a bug for large sized ICMPv6 with nothing particularly helpful in the wording and the workaround of "don't do that" so I'm not hopeful.

	We have our AM and SE aware of what is going on, and they've offered to help, so I'm hopeful we can eventually confirm the reason we're having trouble, even if we can't directly fix it.

Adam