[cisco-voip] Not supported I'm sure..... but what do you think?

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:03:10 EDT 2016

Hey guys. At a Co. I was working at with a megacluster, we took backups of
the production cluster, and restored to a newly installed cluster on a
"dark" net, and I NAT'd all the VMs so they could run and be upgraded
separately and rebooted and tested with a few phones on a private network.
Then I used some VMware Power CLI scripts to cut over each datacenter in a
few seconds... ECATS was involved as well - there is a little bit of a
precedent, though I recognize that we tailored that specifically for the
customer's environment, and it might not work as well in some others.
It should also be noted that the NEW (and subsequently upgraded, and
switched into production) VMs were built using the actual TAC supported
install process, as opposed to being cloned. The fact that the megacluster
had 21 servers in basically equated to "not enough time to roll back before
monday" for a number of reasons, an issue this upgrade & cutover method
alleviated. I think it was an 8.6 to 9 upgrade. Because of some block level
stuff, sine VMware wasn't supported (IIRC) in the starting version, after
the upgrade of the 2nd set (referred to as "new" earlier)  we took another
back up and restored to *another* cluster, a set of newly installed 9.x VMs
in *another* "dark" net.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DO THIS
I did 5 production clusters this way - Having two to three sets of
identical servers, with identical IPs WILL get confusing, i don't care how
smart you are.
Use login banners saying which cluster this server is in. It's annoying but
apply them to each node so you are forced to see and can confirm you're
logging in to ccmadmin on to cluster 1, 2 or 3. Having the cluster built
before cutover lets you do things like fix an issue with a sub, or rebuild
a node as many times as you want when/if an install fails. It's easy to get
confused and blast a sub on the production cluster by accident at 3 pm on
when you've got enough servers and have to admin one cluster, and build
another, when you have multiple sets of identical things, and applying 100
banners is less annoying than the consequences of  you or your customer
screwing this up.
When you need to restart/zap a UC VM that there are multiples of - require
two people to look at it. Have your team lead or customer say "yes, that's
the right one" before you click that button.
Be very careful with naming things so you can safely script things in a
low-risk fashion (E.g., so you can't reboot the wrong set of VMs while
working on build #2)

-Peter