[cisco-voip] SIP Trunk Profile w/ Options Ping

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:45:41 EDT 2016

I don't understand your question or concern.  Are you asking if OPTIONS
PING is best practice?  If so, then yes.  As a general practive, enabling
SIP OPTIONS PING gives you a benefit, with minimal drawbacks.

There's two drawbacks I can think of off the top of my head

1) SIP OPTIONS counts against your calls per second.  So, if you thought
you were getting 5 calls per second on your CUBE, and you're OPTIONS
PINGing two ITSPs and four CMs, then you're mistaken.

2) I found an ITSP to be sending my CUBE a handful of OPTIONS at a time,
all with the same Call-ID, and CUBE was only replying to one of them,
therefore, the ITSP was considering my trunk as down.  Through a nice chat
with TAC engineers at Cisco Live US Technical Solutions Clinic, I learned
two things:

1. CUBE will not respond to a request if it has the same call-id as a
previous request which CUBE has responded too
2. CUBE will not respond to a request if this is a second request within
the timer for sending a response (500ms by default, if memory serves)

Interestingly, the quick fix was to disable SIP OPTIONS PING to fix this
issue, which is counter intuitive to the best practice.  So, the best thing
you can do in any situation is consider all of the variables and pick the
best solution for that given situation.  I feel like sometimes people thing
"best practice" means the "right way."