[cisco-voip] Phone Fraud H.323

David Zhars dzhars at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 09:37:55 EDT 2016

So yesterday I was alerted by our landline company that some of our phone
numbers that come in POTS on an H323 router, we being used for phone
fraud.  I am wondering how this happens with an H323 router (I am familiar
with someone hacking Unity and setting up actions to route to Jamaica once
someone leaves a voicemail or similar).

The odd part is that these numbers are almost NEVER used for calling out,
unless the user presses a 7 for an outbound line (versus an 8 which puts
the call out on ISDN).

I found a link on how to disable OffNet calling in UCM, but should I
instead look at securing the H323 router?  Or does the call blocking rule
need to be done in UCM?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

PS- Client is in USA, call fraud to Jamaica which does not require a
country code, so harder to block.