[cisco-voip] SIP session timer in IOS gateway

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Fri Sep 23 16:30:20 EDT 2016

No that's not the problem. The length of the SE timer isn't what I'm talking about.

(BTW it is possible to adjust the SE. They added that as an additional parameter to the "min-se" command in 15.something.)

In my case I'm using 1800 and that is getting negotiated successfully. If I use something else, that also gets negotiated successfully. Cranking up the min-se causes the proper 422 response and second INVITE attempt, etc. Everything is occurring exactly as the RFC says it should. But the RFC is too vague!

For example, with SE=1800, the IOS gateway sends the BYE "slightly before" 1800 seconds, around 1665 seconds - which is perfectly valid according to the RFC. The other side is doing the refreshes. It does the refresh "before" 1800 seconds, around 1688 seconds - which is perfectly valid according to the RFC (halfway, i.e. 900, is recommended but not required; the only requirement is "before" 1800).

My problem is that IOS's "slightly before" occurs around 1665 seconds and the other side's "before" occurs around 1688 seconds. Neither side is in the wrong but the RFC has a stupid hole here. I need IOS to wait until closer to 1800.

-mn