[cisco-voip] Expressway MRA design question

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:47:52 EST 2017

I've actually been looking into this myself. Our Wi-Fi system now has a NAT mechanism which breaks Jabber, and we have a single DNS. As far as I can tell, even if the client fails to be able to connect with the cisco uds SRV record, as long as it is there, it will try and connect to the UCM then just do nothing, instead of falling back to collab edge.

I have been reading this document:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/expressway-series/117811-configure-vcs-00.html

This guide indicates that as long as you're specifying the voice services domain for these clients, they will refer to whatever you've given it there, say, uc-mobile.domain.tld, to look up records, even if your JID and login are user at domain.tld . This doesn't work for out of the box discovery however.

I am not operating IM&P at this time, which will be a whole other mess, but this should be the way to set it up if I'm reading correctly. Haven't tried it yet and would not be surprised if something doesn't actually work correctly.