[cisco-voip] Traffic Issues with 7900 Series Phones

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 14 13:55:21 EST 2017

All,

Just to follow up on this one, though it has been a long time…

While the details on the whole thing are very slim, TAC was able to actually reproduce the issue we were reporting on the 7941/61 and G-GE flavors of phone. Phones that receive “too much” traffic (somewhere in the order of billions of packets) seem to fall apart, which results in poor audio quality internal to the phone (jitter/loss not seen in captures before or through the phone), high ICMP echo latency, delay in functionality, etc – until the phone is power cycled. Clicking “Reset” in the UCM does nothing to fix this. I have one site where this occurs frequently, and another with similar behavior issues but the condition seems to be transient.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a confirmation if this is a hardware or software issue, but, this conclusion was reached only just after the 1/31 end of software support for these models, and given the hardware end of support dates being long ago, the issue will not be fixed. It is implied it is a hardware issue, but we don’t know what actually is going on in the background on the device. Something with the nature of the traffic that these phones are exposed to (volumes? Types? Sizes?) is a problem, and the 7900 series, save for the 7945/65/75 and the 7916, are dead and done.

The recommendation has been to move to the 7800/8800 series of phones, which will not be a cheap nor prompt fix, but, if you all are still chasing this sort of issue, unfortunately, if it is the same as ours there is not much to be done it seems.

Regards,

Adam Pawlowski
University at Buffalo