[cisco-voip] updating ACLs for Jabber... one or seven documents?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Fri Feb 24 11:46:15 EST 2017

So, I'm finally getting around to try and update our ACLs to permit only ports required for Jabber to operate.

I found what I thought was great information here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_planning-guide-jabber-118_chapter_01.html#CJAB_RF_P3A082A9_00

until I read the following below.

Ports for Other Services and Protocols

In addition to the ports listed in this section, review the required ports for all protocols and services in your deployment. You can find the port and protocol requirements for different servers in the following documents:

For Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence Service, see the TCP and UDP Port Usage Guide.
For Cisco Unity Connection, see the System Administration Guide.
For Cisco WebEx Meetings Server, see the Administration Guide.
For Cisco WebEx services, see the Administrator's Guide.
For Expressway for Mobile and Remote Access, refer to Cisco Expressway IP Port Usage for Firewall Traversal.
For file transfer port usage, see the Configuration and Administration of IM and Presence Service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

Curious - do I need to know update the ACLs with all the other services ports for the networks that will be using Jabber, or is the Jabber document enough?

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
Senior Analyst, Network Infrastructure
University of Guelph