[cisco-voip] UC and UCCX 9.x upgrade to 11.5 sequencing question - when to upgrade to ESXi 6

Brian V bvanbens at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 19:14:47 EDT 2017

UC and UCCX upgrade sequencing question.

Customer has CUCM/CUC/IMP 9.1 and UCCX 9.0.2 SU2 running on ESXi 5.5.
Plan is to upgrade all UC apps to 11.5.

I was planning on a separate maintenance window, before any UC upgrades,
to patch BIOS on UCS-C servers and upgrade to Cisco provided package of
ESXi 6.0 Update 3.

I checked the docWiki and see that UCCX 9.0.2 and IMP 9.1 don't
officially support ESXi 6.0How concerned should I be if I upgrade to
ESXi6 and run on it for a few weeks with the 9.x versions while we stage
out the other UC upgrades?

  I was planning on checking and setting each VM NOT to automatically
upgrade the VMtools on boot.

During this time I'm also planning to install the v3Keys COP files, free
disk space cop, then shut down and modify the VM guest settings with RAM
and Linux type.

Also planning to use the manual process of editing the .vmx file to
change the LAN card to VMXNET3.

Then fire up all the UC Guests, still at 9.x with ESXi 6.0 and upgrade
to 11.5 over the course of a few weeks during a couple of maintenance
windows.

Does anyone have any feedback for me with this plan regarding running on
ESXi 6.x?Anyone have any recent experience?

Trying to avoid another maintenance window, post UC 11.5 upgrades, just
to do ESXi upgrade.

Thanks