[cisco-voip] CCX and NTP

Gary Parker G.J.Parker at lboro.ac.uk
Mon May 8 10:25:44 EDT 2017

> On 8 May 2017, at 15:20, Haas, Neal <nhaas at co.fresno.ca.us> wrote:
>
> Get an on-prem NTP server, if you cant spend the money, use:
>
> time.nist.gov     global address for all servers       Multiple locations
> utcnist.colorado.edu      128.138.140.44  University of Colorado, Boulder
> utcnist2.colorado.edu    128.138.141.172                University of Colorado, Boulder
> time-nw.nist.gov             131.107.13.100  Microsoft, Redmond, Washington
>
> Really, anything with a GOV, or EDU should be good.
>
> By the way, you should NEVER, EVER, EVER (can’t stress this enough) a Windows Based NTP.  Every place that I have went into and removed a Windows Time server, everything has worked better! Windows just cant do time. I went into a business with windows NTP, and the guy was checking time from about 100 NTP servers, his time was off by three minutes. Took it down to 3 and everything started to work.

Even better than specifying individual hosts, use pool.ntp.org:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

You’ll get your minimum of three servers to query and they maintain the list you query from.

You really should be running your own local ntp hosts, though, for continuation of service in the event of Internet outage.

(Also, yes: NEVER use Windows for time services. It’s absolutely terrible!)

---
|     Unified Communications Service Manager      |
n      Loughborough University, IT Services       |
|     http://delphium.lboro.ac.uk/pubkey.txt      |