[cisco-voip] UCS C210 Replace 146 GB Disk in RAID5 with 300 GB Disk

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Nov 14 10:34:47 EST 2017

The idea of RAID drives and managing the different volumes always had me on the fence on how to do things. In a perfect world, I’d stick with one big RAID 6 array with a spare on the shelf.

The BE7K servers I ordered were delivered with 4 RAID 5 arrays. Personally, while I can appreciate separating the arrays, I don’t like losing that extra space and managing which volume to put images on is a pain.

I’ll admit, I looked at RAID 10 (when I was first reading the TRC specs) and was confused to heck. I did finally understand things after referring to a colleague, but it was a lot of drawing out.

I will say this, RAID isn’t gonna protect you if you don’t have platform monitoring on. You need to know the second a drive fails so you can proceed accordingly.

Also, if the ever do construction in your computer room, do yourself a favour, go to the hardware store, buy a 9.99 loose fibre furnace filter and stick it in front of your air intakes.