[cisco-voip] UCS C210 Replace 146 GB Disk in RAID5 with 300 GB Disk

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Wed Nov 15 11:15:02 EST 2017

Thanks for laying it out Ryan.

From: Ryan Ratliff (rratliff) [mailto:rratliff at cisco.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:57 AM
To: Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio at uoguelph.ca>
Cc: Charles Goldsmith <wokka at justfamily.org>; cisco-voip list <cisco-voip at puck.nether.net>
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] UCS C210 Replace 146 GB Disk in RAID5 with 300 GB Disk

The 4 arrays on BE7K also have an impact on IOPS for the volume, though the servers are primarily built that way for array rebuild times as has been noted previously in this thread.

On that server especially while one volume may be fine from a space perspective note that the amount of IOPS for DAS is derived from the number of disk spindles in the array.
This means it is entirely possible to cause IO starvation problems on a BE7K by putting all the VMs on a single storage volume.
Spreading your VMs across the arrays will provide you protection against multiple disk failures (because they are RAID 5) AND spread the IOPS load across them.

With respect to rebuilding a TRC’s RAID5 into RAID6 or RAID10 that server is no longer classified as a TRC and thus Cisco cannot guarantee the same level of performance we would otherwise.
You may be perfectly comfortable with making such a change and willing to take on the risk, but guaranteeing the server meets the IOPS requirements of the apps running on it is your responsibility, not ours.

If things go sideways you can expect TAC to ask you to rebuild it to a RAID5 (or at least one volume) the way it shipped as part of the troubleshooting process.

-Ryan