[cisco-voip] moving/upgrading Expressway VMs

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Tue Nov 28 09:52:09 EST 2017

I'm new to the Expressway world, so new, we had a partner come in and help us set them up. :O

We had a weird experience with the licensing with one host, which needed manual intervention, but for the most things went ok.

This raises the question, however, of how I can plan to move these VMs to another host, upgrade them, then move them again.

As far as I can tell, the serial number to which the license is tied is generated at installation time and is not changed when a VM is moved, but I'm not sure this holds when the expressway o/s is upgraded.

My goal is to upgrade the 4 vm cluster (2C+2E) offline then move them to the online network, rebalancing our ESXi hosts as we do this.

I understand that even if we are successful in moving the VMs without rehosting the license, if we ever encounter a situation where we need to recover from backup, we need to consider if this will fail because of the licenses or is there a way around that?

Thoughts?

Lelio