[cisco-voip] New install 11.5 phones won't register or the subscriber

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Wed Oct 11 04:10:50 EDT 2017

So, from the publisher; you’ve added the subscriber under the System -> Server menu section ( likely by IP address or hostname since you’re saying DNS is not used ), correct?

You state all infrastructure services are active on the publisher and DNS is not used.

When you go to install the subscriber; is the subscriber installer screen failing “node connectivity validation check” with the publisher?

If that is where you’re failing, and the subscriber truly is “listed in the database of the publisher”, then this is a bit of an ambiguous error as there are many causes without accurate error messaging/logging.

Before calling TAC, check a few things to maybe save some time:

- Publisher NTP at or below clock strata 3

- It is possible that a super high RTT (round trip time) would cause this. The CUCM installer is, at this point, not only looking for a response, but a response within a fixed amount of time. The SRND states each cluster node cannot be separated by more that 80Ms of RTT. I suspect though, to fail a node connectivity check during installation you’d have to be well above 80Ms ... like a 200Ms-250Ms range or something crazy like that.

- Delete the subscriber from publisher, reboot publisher, delete the subscriber VM and redeploy the subscriber OVA (verify it is the correct OVA). Reinstall the subscriber, selecting the same OVA deployment size as the publisher (7,500, 2,500 ... etc), and then re-add subscriber and start new installation (if you haven’t already tried this).

- Make sure the subscriber VM guest is not subject to VMware DRS (distributed resource scheduler) if applicable. I’ve had a situation on a B200 where the “server guy” had VMware DRS running on my UC VMs (even though I told him not to) and it was moving the subscriber around during installation cause it was using a lot of CPU. Real time applications like CUCM DO NOT like VMware DRS (nor is it supported).

- Make sure you’re accounting for any non-standard MTU between the publisher and subscriber nodes. By default, CUCM will use 1500 if you don’t change it (which is the typical network standard). For example; If you have jumbo frame support in the network path between the two nodes and you set 1500 MTU on the publisher and subscriber, the subscriber installation will typically “fail node connectivity validation” with no visible clue as to why. This is because this is the first point in the subscriber installation where there is enough back/fourth TCP with the publisher to cause the TCP window to burst, which causes the TCP retransmission error. Since it happens at this point, CUCM assumes it’s because the publisher can’t verify the subscriber.

If none of this helps the issue and you have to call TAC; be familiar with how to capture packets from the CUCM CLI of the publisher (TAC will most undoubtedly ask for this): https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/packet-capture-on-cucm-appliance-model/ta-p/3118507

Thanks,

Ryan