[cisco-voip] New install 11.5 phones won't register or the subscriber

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Thu Oct 12 14:17:03 EDT 2017

Hey Mike,

That actually came from an experience I had. I can actually show you a PCAP of where it happened. It was a DoD customer so I’d have to sanitize/renumber all the IPs first. In my case; I did not have access to the far end (and obviously couldn’t pull pcaps on the subscriber CLI because it would not fully install); so I wasn’t able to positively identify the MTU issue without samples from both sides.

On the publisher, shortly after the TCP retransmission started (in the packet capture timeline), I started to see fragmentation where fragmentation was not expected. I’m no packet/route/switch expert but I only knew of a few things (outside of a bad uplink cable) that would cause this so I took an educated guess and forwarded the pcap to the customer’s network group. They were able to fully diagnose and confirmed the mismatched MTU.

In this customer’s case, they had no need for the non-standard MTU, it was just a legacy config that no one changed “cause it never caused a problem before”.

-Ryan