[cisco-voip] 5 digit and 10 digit dialing

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:43:40 EDT 2018

It's surprising to me, how many people I hear these days, asking to remove
the PSTN access code (typically a 9 in the US), but then still want intra-
and inter-site abbreviated dialing habits to be supported.  The usual
defense is: "I don't have to dial a 9 on my cell phone."  Though, these
same people admit that they cannot 4 digit dial on their cell phones either.

I have one customer who was talked into a design by someone else, and just
the opposite of OP, they have to dial a "1" for all calls, local and
national.  And so, none of the intra- or inter-site abbreviated dialing
habits start with a 1.

So, in a way, they're still dialing a PSTN access code, it just happens to
be "1" and not "9".

Oh, and they cannot have a 0 operator extension, because of international
dialing habits starting with 011.

That's not great, but I get it.  People ask for things from an ignorant
place, and it's our jobs as experts to inform and lead design discussions.

I think everyone should avoid inter-digit timeouts (aka post dial delay,
aka T.302, aka "Why isn't my call working?") in their design, and Cisco has
now given us the glorious check box for translation patterns: "Do Not Wait
For Interdigit Timeout On Subsequent Hops" to help do just that.  Now, in
variable length numbering plans within E164, it's not un-avoidable, but in
the US and for intra- and inter-site dialing, it is avoidable.

Actually, it's not like what I think is the best design solution just
because I think it is, but rather, it's actually a published design
practice from Cisco in their Preferred Architecture for Enterprise
Collaboration 11.6:

*"Starting the design process with an overview of all dialing habits makes
sure that overlaps between any two dialing habits leading to inter-digit
timeouts are detected and can be resolved before starting the dial plan
deployment. Avoiding overlaps with any other (typically on-net) dialing
habit is the key reason for using a PSTN access code (typically 9 in the
US, as shown above)."*

Source:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Collaboration/enterprise/11x/116/collbcvd/control.html

To answer the OP question more directly: well, it depends.

The timer expiring has nothing to do with the pattern that was matched.
For example, if you had the following two Translation patterns as potential
matches:

1XXX Urgent
135! Non-Urgent

And you dialed 1350, you could not dial anymore digits after the 0, even
though we've used the ! to indicate more digits could follow.  Furthermore,
the pattern with UP on it, is not matched, because 135! has less potential
matches (aka is the closest match).

So, with that knowledge, and with what Brian said, you could do this:

XXXX Non-Urgent - Used for intra-site abbreviated dialing - Uses a CSS that
can only reach internal extensions
[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX Urgent - Used for US Local and National PSTN dialing -
Uses CSS inheritence to match next hop RP for PSTN routing

So if the user dialed 6120, then waits for the timer to expire, CUCM
selects the XXXX non-urgent pattern.  Then, if the user dials 6125551212,
CUCM selects the urgent pattern for PSTN and routes the call.

In that way, your internal dialing uses one CSS, while your PSTN calls use
another, and your internal dialing (which should be thought of as fast)
will now have a post dial delay (default 15 seconds).

Though, I must go back to the beginning of what I was saying, and say that
I think you should review the documentation on dial plan design.  There are
even two great sessions at Cisco Live every year on the topic, which you
can watch for free right now:

Enterprise Dial Plan Fundamentals - BRKUCC-2008
<https://www.ciscolive.com/global/on-demand-library/?search=dial%20plan%20fundimentals&search.event=ciscoliveus2017#/session/1484348904036001WD7Q>

Advanced Dial Plan Design for Unified Communications Networks - BRKUCC-3000
<https://www.ciscolive.com/global/on-demand-library/?search=advanced%20dial%20plan&search.event=ciscoliveus2017#/session/1484348904069001Wggq>