[cisco-voip] Robo Call DoS

Ryan Huff ryanhuff at outlook.com
Mon Apr 16 12:32:33 EDT 2018

Is it the same CALLED number? While this is service impacting, if the customer can live without the number for a few hours here is what has worked for me ...

Take the number and run it to an IVR (Unity Connections or UCCX are common Cisco options). The IVR simply plays the SIT (special information tone) for a busy circuit which can be downloaded here: http://www.yourhomenow.com/sit.html and dumps the call.

True robo dialer bots are autonomous and usually listen for SIT; when they hear “circuit busy” (the three bings of death that play at a particular frequency) they usually blacklist the called number on their index so they don’t keep burning cycles and are more effective for the bot owner.

I’ve also used a 30 second sample of Rick Astley’s, “Never gonna give you up” in place of SIT, when I feel like “Rick Rolling” the bot .... a little way to vent frustration on a bot :). Rick rolling isn’t something you can usually do with customer facing numbers though :(; circuit busy SIT is easier to explain away.

You can try legal and carrier options but generally you just want it to stop in the quickest way possible and this has done it for me several times before.

Thanks,

Ryan