[cisco-voip] CUCM Pre-Upgrade Checklist

Charles Goldsmith wokka at justfamily.org
Tue Apr 24 20:44:58 EDT 2018

Agreed Ryan, 100%.  I've never used the ESXi server for DRS, but I have
used it to store a COP file for an upgrade when a client's VPN was blocking
me, or sent  files to it in order to transfer to TAC.

Customer firewalls and VPN can be a pain sometimes when doing late night,
remote support, and you come up with creative ways to handle the task.

For example, needed the old license files from pre-upgrade on a system for
GLO one night, doing it remotely and needed to root CUCM.  Customer had
already copied the system over to a lab environment, so shut it down and
booted using the recovery cd.  Used it to access root and mount the
partitions, grabbed the files and put onto a temporary VMDK that I added to
the vm.  Copied that VMDK off of the ESXi host onto vmware workstation into
a linux VM of my own and copied the license files off of it, fired off to
GLO.  Took me about 20 minutes total, but didn't have involve TAC to get
the license files needed for the upgrade.

Yes, I realize there is a command at the CLI to extract them, but when it
gives a non-descript error about transferring said files to SFTP, it's just
not worth the hassle of opening a case.  I had already tried the ESXi sftp
server, as well as a centos VM to no avail.