[cisco-voip] cisco-voip Digest, Vol 182, Issue 5

Brian Meade bmeade90 at vt.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:37:22 EST 2018

Looks like it's a problem with the way H.323 to H.323 calls work.

Unlike SIP, H.323 uses TerminalCapabilitySet messages to advertise to both
sides all possible capabilities/codecs between the 2 sides then the master
gets to pick.

On the call leg between Avaya and SME, Avaya gets chosen as master and
picks G.711a.

On the call leg between SME and CUCM 11.5, CUCM 11.5 is chosen as master
and picks G.711u.

You then don't have any universal transcoding/MTP resources I assume to
handle the mismatch.

You need a way to force a codec across the full call path.  I'd suggest
using SIP between SME and CUCM 11.5 rather than H.323 ICT.

If it has to be H.323 ICT, you may be able to try forcing MTP Required on
the H.323 gateway config for Avaya in the SME cluster.