[cisco-voip] anyone try solaborate hello?

Ben Amick bamick at HumanArc.com
Thu Feb 1 14:00:14 EST 2018

I’m a man of many hats myself, both on the customer side as well as when I was on the partner and MSP sides. I’d hate to have something like this in my corporate environment, but also acknoladge that it’s likely the only price point that some companies would even be willing to look at videoconferencing at, and as much as I would never want to take responsibility for managing it, I also wouldn’t be completely against throwing these at my executives as part of a budgetary plan to cut down on travel costs.

That said, I’d never be able to run them in my environment – as we’re a healthcare organization and do not have a BAA with Amazon, the always listening capabilities of Alexa would put us in breach of HIPAA.

Ben Amick
Unified Communications Analyst

From: cisco-voip [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Anthony Holloway
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:27 PM
To: Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio at uoguelph.ca>
Cc: Cisco VoIP Group <cisco-voip at puck.nether.net>
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] anyone try solaborate hello?

I'm kind of curious to know who on this mailing list would have tried it, because this list seems to be made up of mostly people interested in Cisco products and technology.  Save for a few people of course, who have an indirect Cisco interest.

Granted, Cisco doesn't always make the first, the best, or the cheapest, and alternatives in the market are a good thing, but, from my perspective, which is through the eyes of a Cisco Engineer, I would never be installing a COTS product which competes directly with Cisco's own offerings.  Be it this product, or a Microsoft product.

Sure, I might see one in the field, but I wouldn't take any responsibility for managing it.

Since Lelio, you're on the customer side, is it different for you?  Do you have the freedom of just buying and trying any product you want, regardless of manufacturer?  Even when I was on the customer side for a few years, I was still a Cisco Engineer, and only worked on Cisco products.  Perhaps you wear more hats than just Cisco Engineer, and that's our difference.

Anyway, just curious.

By the way, this product actually looks pretty cool and he price is very affordable.  So, my above comments are not tied to the product itself, more to the idea of 3rd party COTS products competing against Cisco products, when viewed from a Cisco Engineer's perspective.