[cisco-voip] Cisco 7975 or 7965 stuck at speaker button

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:07:35 EST 2018

If it boots up and goes to speaker and sits there with no output it is probably dead per the field notice that was already posted. We have had a bunch of those.

The hallmark of the "oops my firmware fell out" state in times past was the cycling lights, lights that would go off, and, if the phone didn't find any firmware after some period of time it would repeat this process until it did (if ever).

The 79x2/79x5 seem to have this problem just like the AIR-AP-1252 access point did, only much less severely, and reloading switches, using Energywise full power down, etc can potentially cause the unit to fail. Unfortunately combined with the bad solder joints and hookswitches on the "Type B" models, the 7900 series did not seem to have the highest reliability in general.

The 8800s we have had one bad hookswitch and maybe a dozen that went white screen and ceased to operate due to something with wired headsets and some batch of phones, but they're otherwise fairly reliable hardware wise. If the firmware updates could get rid of the dang hiss that showed up in 11, and the invisible line text on dark background bug in 12, they'd be pretty spot on.

Adam