[cisco-voip] Spark Hybrid and MWI/Voicemail

Stephen Welsh stephen.welsh at unifiedfx.com
Tue Feb 13 15:04:39 EST 2018

My 2 cents…

From an Cisco Spark API perspective it’s a meeting room system as that is the model the User Experience is aligned for, so a long way to go for more traditional telephony features that are out of context for a meeting i.e. MWI.

Cisco Spark reminds me of the Windows 8 fiasco of making a desktop OS fit a tablet interface at the expense of normal desktop interactions, hence the swing back to normal desktop with Windows 10 etc. For me Cisco Spark is a "soft meeting" client that needs be extended to sensibly incorporate more traditional "soft phone" functionality/interactions.

That’s not to say Cisco Spark is not great at what it does, just that there needs to be more of a choice/overlap between Spark/Jabber, until then Spark will be more of a niche solution.

Also, it would appear all the marketing push for Cisco Spark has given Jabber a boost, and given Cisco have finally committed to port all relevant IP Communicator functionality to Jabber so IPC can be EOS that will keep Jabber at the primary soft phone solution for most larger organisations until Cisco can find a way forward with a unified soft phone solution.

Anyway, just my personal opinion, I’m sure others with disagree ;)

Kind Regards

Stephen Welsh
CTO
UnifiedFX