[cisco-voip] session target dns

Loren Hillukka lchillukka at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:19:09 EST 2018

You can have your gw query your DNS server, and you have to add SRV records to your central DNS server (like with the jabber entries required to get jabber sign-in to work).
Here’s the example of doing local DNS to static entries on the gateway itself, from the CVP 10 config guide.  CVP is where I first started doing dns srv on the local gateway, as I preferred breaking the call center myself instead of having the AD/DNS teams do it for me without me knowing ;-)
===========
You can also configure the Gateway statically instead of using DNS. The following example shows how both the A and SRV type records could be configured:
ip host cvp4cc2.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc2.cisco.com/> 10.4.33.132
ip host cvp4cc3.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc3.cisco.com/> 10.4.33.133
ip host cvp4cc1.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc1.cisco.com/> 10.4.33.131
For SIP/TCP:
ip host _sip._tcp.cvp.cisco.com<http://tcp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc3.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc3.cisco.com/>
ip host _sip._tcp.cvp.cisco.com<http://tcp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc2.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc2.cisco.com/>
ip host _sip._tcp.cvp.cisco.com<http://tcp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc1.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc1.cisco.com/>
For SIP/UDP:
ip host _sip._udp.cvp.cisco.com<http://udp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc3.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc3.cisco.com/>
ip host _sip._udp.cvp.cisco.com<http://udp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc2.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc2.cisco.com/>
ip host _sip._udp.cvp.cisco.com<http://udp.cvp.cisco.com/> srv 50 50 5060<tel:50%2050%205060>cvp4cc1.cisco.com<http://cvp4cc1.cisco.com/>
Then your dial-peer would have session target dns:cvp.cisco.com<http://cvp.cisco.com/> which would point to the SRV record, which would use the weight/priority values to choose the final host, and resolve the selected host to an IP using the normal "ip host name x.x.x.x" entry

Loren