[cisco-voip] session target dns

Loren Hillukka lchillukka at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:51:24 EST 2018

Local dns srv allowed priority and weight, whereas server-group only allowed priority, that I recall. Granted, you don't usually need weight, but some customers desired that option.
Either can be used, and server-groups do add some benefits (can see better up/down status, etc). Lately I have moved to using server-groups and it does cover most needs as well.
Don't remember any issues With TTL but then again I only recall one customer that pointed the DNS lookup to a central DNS server, and it broke when they had some AD activity going on that impacted DNS lookups and thus the call center. After that we decided to help customers protect themselves and we always implemented local dns srv on the gw.  Combining that with options ping (and use ping group if you have multiple dial-peers pointed to the same SIP endpoint!) really made failover/redundancy nice and quick.

Loren