[cisco-voip] phones working on a dumb switch with voice/data vlans switched properly

Dave Goodwin dave.goodwin at december.net
Wed Oct 3 17:46:36 EDT 2018

I haven't really tried the kind of thing you described in quite a long
time. But I assume the reason the phone gets an IP address is because the
CDP VVLAN information is being successfully sent through the unmanaged
non-Cisco switch so the phone actually sees it. The phone learns its VVLAN
ID, so starts tagging all its frames and therefore gets an IP from the
VVLAN. The other devices plugged into the switch (or behind the phone)
don't normally need to tag, so the frames are coming through up to the
Cisco switch untagged and are therefore in the native/access VLAN on the
port and getting one of those IPs.

So I guess that unmanaged switch passes any CDP through to all ports, and
also passes any tagged traffic through unaltered.