[cisco-voip] Rate-limit voice calls by callerID?

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:12:21 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

This is a shot in the dark here but has anyone seen a product that can
rate-limit SIP calls based on the calling party number?

We've had a few recent incidents where a scammer has put our telephone
exchange into their robocall system and blasted us with presumably
thousands of call attempts spoofing a government or foreign agency's
Washington DC phone number, for example, the VA or the Chinese Embassy.
Aside from the nuisance of the robocalls, this crushes our SIP concurrent
call paths until I block the number on CUBE. I was thinking if there were a
way to rate limit calls from a calling party number that would probably let
the legitimate calls in, for the most part, but squelch anything that would
DOS us. This doesn't seem to be in the normal CUBE toolset so to speak.

I'm looking at a company called SecureLogix that might be able to do
something like this. Are there any actual SBCs that can handle something
like that?

Any other solutions to this issue?

--
Ed Leatherman