[cisco-voip] FN70379 / VMWare Tools breaks initramfs

Pawlowski, Adam ajp26 at buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:53:50 EDT 2019

Hello all,

Just wanted to throw this one back out there to the group. I’m upgrading our lab emergency responder from 12.0 affected to 12.5(1)a. This upgrade failed for some reason I’ve yet to determine with TAC, but part of the process during the upgrade is to roll back to the previous version and reboot if there is a fault during upgrade.

Once this rebooted I got dumped into the condition described in the field notice and have to recover.

TAC also advises that if you use the recovery ISO that you rebuild the server afterwards. CER for sure has said this before in the documentation, but others do as well:

Rebuild Server After You Use the Recovery Disk

Cisco recommends that you rebuild the server, after you use the recovery disk to bring a server with a corrupted file system into a bootable and semifunctional state. For more information, see http:/​/​tools.cisco.com/​bugsearch/​bug/​CSCth53322<http://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCth53322>
[https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/i/templates/note.gif]Note

You may notice missing directories, lost permissions, or corrupted softlinks, if you do not rebuild the server.

I would claim here that this is not a corrupted file system, but in going back to re-read the field notice, I wonder if the action it is prescribing is to use the recovery ISO to repair the boot image for the appliance before you run into trouble and need to work out of it. That’s unclear to me. I did not expect the upgrade to fail and put me in this boat – if you are planning to upgrade out of the affected versions I suppose have the recovery software handy.

Happy loading.

Adam Pawlowski
University at Buffalo