[cisco-voip] ITL/CTL - CUCM 11

Ryan Ratliff (rratliff) rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Mar 8 10:28:11 EST 2019

See below.

 - Ryan Ratliff

On Mar 7, 2019, at 7:36 PM, Gr ccie <grccie at gmail.com<mailto:grccie at gmail.com>> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

Sorry few more queries on ctl. Since the cluster is in non-secure mode (but has CTL due to historically being in mixed mode) and my main aim is to convert it to tokenless and keep ctl updated:

1) I think we don’t even need to convert cluster to mixed mode for updating the CTLs. I checked in lab and was able to run update ctl command in non-secure mode and updated ctl is pushed to phone (although had to reset it, it didn’t do with service restarts). Do you think there can be any complication if I just update the CTL without turning mixed on and then having to turn it off. As I save time/effort on that and its less risky as cluster is still in non-secure mode.

No complications, though if you have a CTL there is no downside I can think of to being mixed mode. You don’t have to set encrypted profiles anywhere, though it’s nice to have that option.

2) Second question is just to confirm even if the hardware token expires - the ctl file still remains valid and we can still go tokenless regardless of the hardware token expiry as long as certs signing ctl are not changed. Does CTL file have any expiry (apart from certs)?

Correct, the CTL itself does not expire, only the certificate that signed it.

3) Also can I check hardware token expiry from cli? For example if I had lost a CTL token can I tell from any command output - when the ctl tokens will expire

You can check it with the CLI (db query, maybe show cert) and in OS Admin via Certificate Management. The eToken certs are in the database and trust-store.

Thank You