[cisco-voip] Mask caller ID of some message senders in Unity Connection Single inbox

Evgeny Izetov eizetov at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:03:10 EDT 2019

The following kind of sort of works in my quick testing but it's a bit
convoluted.

The logic that CUC uses is when a call comes in it tries to match the
calling number to an extension in its database. If extension is found, then
CUC uses the Display Name and the Extension fields on 'User Basics' page to
construct the email for Single Inbox. So you could move the executive's
real extension from the User Basics page to Alternate Extension in CUC and
configure a fake extension and a generic Display Name on the User Basics
page.

When the executive leaves a voicemail, CUC determines the target voicemail
box using the first diversion header as usual (we are not messing with this
part). Then CUC matches the executive's calling number to the alternate
extension and uses the information on the 'User Basics' of the executive to
construct the "From" information in the email.

The obvious caveat is the fake extension still has to be unique in CUC, you
can't assign a generic main number to multiple voicemail boxes.

-E